Skip to main content

Candied Almonds


Hope everyone had a great Christmas!  I know we did!  As part of our family gift-giving, I always make a little package of goodies for family and friends. This year, with the moving and work and everything going on I decided to go ultra easy and quick.  I made these secret turtle candies that I learned from my mother-in-law (sorry guys she won't let me tell you all the recipe) and candied almonds!  Those I can share with you cause I found them all on my own!

They are super duper easy!  It does take an hour and 15 minutes or so total to make, but most of that can be spend hanging out with the family or relaxing and recuperating from all the holiday festivities.  They are super tasty and very addictive and would probably make great snacks for a New Year's Eve party or a great gift to the host of a party you may be attending.  My main tip would be to buy the almonds at a bulk store or out of the bulk bins if your grocery store has them.  A pound of almonds can be kind of spendy this time of year!

Pre-measuring you ingredients saves a bit of time later!

Put the egg white, vanilla and water into a bowl large enough for all the ingredients.

Whisk until frothy.

Stir in the almonds and toss until well coated.

Fold in the sugar and spices.

Stir until all the almonds are well coated.

Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 1 hour at 250F, stirring every 15 minutes.


Enjoy!  But try not to eat the whole pound in one sitting! :)

Candied Almonds
adapted from this recipe

1 lb. almonds
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. water
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 250 F.

Whisk together egg white, water and vanilla in a bowl large enough to fit all the almonds.  After whisked well and frothy, fold in almonds and toss to coat. Sprinkle on sugar, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and stir until all the almonds are well coated.

Pour almonds onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and spread nuts into a single layer. (Don't skip the parchment paper otherwise you will have a super messy cookie sheet to deal with later.)  Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before eating...or you will burn your tongue!  Trust me, I know! lol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in ...

S'mores with a Twist!

Now that it is finally summer and the weather is beautiful here in Southwest Washington, that means it is time for camping and cookouts to begin.  The most important food item at these events of course, being s'mores.  Who needs the hot dogs, burgers and steaks...I'll take s'mores please!  : D For our family camping trip I decided to mix it up a bit and feature some new candy bars besides the Hershey's Milk Chocolate bars.  I hit the candy aisle at the grocery store and looked for every flat-ish candy bar available.  I ended up with a Hershey's Symphony bar, a Hershey's Cookies n' Cream bar, a Mr. Goodbar (my family's personal fav) and a Reese's Peanut Butter bar.  Time for the fun to begin!   We all had a blast trying the different bars and although they were all delicious, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law liked the Mr. Goodbar best, where as I LOVED the Reese's Peanut Butter bar.  I ate way too many after white water rafting...but I figure...

Happy St. Patrick's Day...have a cake pop!

I'm sure many of you know that yesterday was St. Patrick's Day.  A day for eating strange green foods and putting shamrocks on everything and of course drinking ridiculous amounts of alcohol.  Although I over course, like a good Irish girl, did all three, here we will talk about the eating green stuff part cause this is a food blog after all! A friend of mine recently brought to my attention that my experience is sorely lacking in one baking craze that is super popular right now, cake pops.  Until a few days ago, I had never made them...thought about it once, but I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort for the occasion. She of course begged me to do a post on them though because she wants to make them for her daughter's birthday.  So, being the wonderful friend that I am, I spent my day off working on cake pops.  I learned a few things...one, I seriously have no patience with disobedient baked goods and two, cake pops aren't all that hard, they are...