Skip to main content

Yummy-ness on the grill!!



So I was standing at work yesterday, enjoying the fact that is was not too hot outside, when the desire to grill hit me.  From then on, all I could think of was running out the door, hitting the grocery store for some great veggies to grill and opening a beer as I waited for the grill to warm up...too bad I still had like 4 hours till I went home!  So instead, I spent my breaks and most of my lunch pouring through the recipes I had saved on my Epicurious and AllRecipes apps on my iPhone.  I finally found what I was looking for on my last break, a recipe for pecan-crusted pork tenderloin pinwheels with carolina mustard sauce.  The picture looked amazing and the recipe did not seem too time consuming or difficult, perfect for a shift that ended at 5pm.  As soon as I clocked out, I drove straight over to the grocery store, grabbed everything I needed and was home in record time.   


Now, I must admit that I did not exactly follow the recipe last night for two reasons.  One, I kind of didn't really read the recipe again after I got home, I just went on ahead and did it from memory and two I just didn't want to waste the time rolling the pieces of pork in pecans if they were all going to fall off anyway.  With that in mind, I will go ahead and write what I did down, but will include the link for whoever wants it to the actual recipe on epicurious.com.

1 pork tenderloin
6 thick cut bacon strips
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Carolina Mustard Sauce:
3/4 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce

To make the sauce, add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until well combined.  It is best done the night before, but tastes pretty good even if made right before grilling.

Take the pork tenderloin and cut it into 6 long 1/4 inch thick strips, about the same size as the bacon.  Take a piece of the pork tenderloin and place a slice of bacon on top.  Roll it up carefully, ensuring that the bacon does not slip out and tuck it into place using two toothpicks.  Roll the remaining 5 pieces of pork tenderloin and bacon in the same manner, being sure to secure each one with toothpicks.  Now rub the outside of each pinwheel with the salt and pepper and spread a small layer of the Carolina Mustard Sauce on as well, then take each pinwheel and slice it down right through the middle, in between the toothpicks.  Let them sit and marinade on a sheet pan while the grill warms up.  



This is a great time to go clean off the grill or get some yummy veggies ready too.  I chose some great summer veggies, including summer squash which I only just tried for the first time ever this year...man I did not know what I was missing!  I sliced it up with some zucchini, a red, green and yellow pepper and a shallot that I had sitting around and tossed them with a couple of tablespoons of EVOO and some lemon pepper.  



When the grill was hot (I just used a propane grill btw...) I tossed the pinwheels on there on their sides for a few minutes and then turned them over.  Now I must warn you, I don't know if it was the sauce or the bacon grease, but I did have a few minor flare ups...nothing major though.  I only coated one side with the carolina sauce too cause it contains quite a bit of mustard, and well, the hubby doesn't like mustard so there you go.  I regretted it though!  The sauce is AMAZING after it is grilled, very flavorful with a hint of sweet at the finish, so go crazy with it!  When they were done, after maybe 15 minutes or so, I threw the veggies on there in a grill basket I bought at Williams-Sonoma this year.  (One of my favorite stores I may add...)  They took only about 10 minutes too as I only cooked them till warm, I love when grilled veggies still have some crunch to them.  I made some plain white rice to go along side.  It was quite yummy.  The family ate it all up...no leftovers, much to our friend's dismay when he came over and saw pictures of these later.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r