Skip to main content

Zucchini Cupcakes


Our garden, as previously mentioned, seems to think that we only need and want ginormous zucchinis and so has been mass producing crazy sized versions of this vegetable.  After doing a couple of pasta dishes, I realized that my zucchini arsenal of recipes was tapped and I turned to baked goods in order to use up some of our years long supply.  I have never tried zucchini in baked good form.  I know, I know, crazy!  But I just have never gotten around to it I guess.  For my first zucchini baked goodie, I chose cupcakes of course, and, while I myself did not really enjoy them (I guess I don't like zucchini baked goods...) my family and friends seemed to like these cupcakes and so I will share them with you too!


One of our ginormous zucchinis.  Yup, that is a Morton salt container back there...


Shred your zucchini using a cheese grater or food processor in order to get about 2 cups...


Gather up all of your ingredients.


Whisk or sift your dry ingredients together.


I made a double batch, so I have extra eggs and oil.  Had to use up as much of the zucchini as I could!


Mix all of your wet ingredients together.


Add in the flour and mix until combined.


While the cupcakes are in teh freezer, prepare the frosting using a hand or stand mixer.


Blend until smooth and creamy.


Remove cupcakes from the freezer, frost and enjoy!


Zucchini Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 24, adapted from i am baker

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups shredded zucchini (1 med. or 1/3 of a ginormous one...)
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare cupcake pans. (Also check to make sure you have some freezer space available for the cupcakes, you'll see why.)

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.

In a seprate larger bowl, mix together the zucchini, oil, eggs and vanilla.  Add in the flour mixture and stir until combined.

Scoop into cupcake liners using a 1/4 cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Place trays directly into the freezer after they come out of the oven and leave for about an hour.  (Just do it, trust me!  Or else your cupcakes will sink and become tough and not taste as good.  I know, my first tray never made it to the freezer...)

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-oz package cream cheese
1 stick butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.

Frost the cupcakes when then are completely cool.  Make sure to refrigerate any leftover cupcakes because of the cream cheese in the frosting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r