Skip to main content

Red Velvet Hippo Cupcakes


For months I have been contemplating pastries in hippo form.  This year I had promised my daughter and a cousin who both had summer birthdays that I would make a hippo cake for the family reunion.  Of course, the whole family knew and we have been discussing what it would look like since before Easter.  That being said, I had to nix the whole cake idea a couple of days before the reunion cause I just wasn't going to have enough time to put the cake together the day we left with everything else I had to do and my work schedules.  Instead, I made hippo cupcakes and I must say I think they turned out great!  There are a few things I feel I should mention though...be sure to try the batter.  It seemed way to bright to me and not very "red velvety" in color and when I tried it, all I could taste was red food coloring so I added more cocoa.  Also, don't be disturbed by the color of the batter...as long as it tastes good it will be fine!





Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.


Add in the butter milk, eggs, oil...


Red food coloring, and vinegar.  I know...interesting look, trust me it gets better!


Mix well and add in vanilla...make sure you taste the batter to ensure the flavors have blended well...


Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.






Spread frosting over the top using an angled spatula.


Using a round pastry tip, pipe on the little snouts.


Use a leaf tip to put on little ears.


Make some eyes and teeth out of candy melts and place on the cupcake. Viola!  Hippos!!


Red Velvet Hippo Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
Adapted from Paula Dean's recipe

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 Tbsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare cupcake tins.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.  In a separate larger bowl, beat together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a mixer.  Add in the dry ingredients until smooth and completely combined.

Pour batter into the cupcake pans, filling each until about 2/3 to 3/4 full.  Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, turning the pan halfway through so that you don't get any hotspots.  Cool on wire racks completely before frosting.


I frosted with my basic buttercream frosting, tinted pink for the hippos.  Normally you would use cream cheese frosting with red velvet.  It's up to you!

To make the hippos, I frosted the top with an angled spatula and piped on a little snout with a round icing tip.  I used a leaf tip for the ears and I used candy melts and made the eyes and teeth on some waxed paper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes

With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March. What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Sco