Skip to main content

Mini Chocolate Chip Orange Cupcakes, my best leftover idea yet!


I don't know how many of you are familiar with the show Masterchef, but I am in love with it!  I could watch it everyday...as a matter of fact I kind of do.  After I missed an episode cause I had to work, I looked for it online and in the process found out that there is a Masterchef Australia, which is on like everyday!  It is also addictive and awesome, as a matter of fact I like it more than Masterchef US.  Mostly cause they do Masterchef class, where they teach the students and the viewer a few recipes.  The one I watched last night featured Vincent Gadan, who is an amazing pastry chef.  After watching that, I HAD to bake, I just HAD to!

So I opened the fridge this morning, and what do I see?  A big tub of leftover chocolate frosting from my brother-in-law's birthday cake last week.  I knew that I couldn't waste it...so what to do with it?  I know, combine it with oranges in a mini cupcake.  Low and behold, the chocolate chip orange cupcake was born!  I substituted orange juice for the water in the cake mix and added the zest of one large orange and a cup of chocolate chips.  I would have preferred mini chocolate chips, I'll have to try that next time.





Mix together the cake mix, orange juice, oil and eggs.


Beat on medium-high for 2 minutes until combined well.


Add in the chocolate chips and orange zest.





Bake for 10 minutes.



Chocolate Chip Orange Cupcakes
makes 48-60 mini cupcakes and 24-30 regular ones

1 package yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
Zest of one orange
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, orange juice, oil and eggs together for 2 minutes until well blended.  Add in the orange zest and chocolate chips.  Pour into baking pan and bake for 10 minutes (mini) or 18 minutes (regular).  Remove from pan and allow to cool completely before frosting with chocolate buttercream frosting.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Makes about 2 cups or so

1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup warm water
4 cups confectioners sugar (or how ever much it requires to reach the right consistency)

Cream the butter until light and fluffy.  Mix the cocoa into the water until dissolved.  Add into the butter and beat until well mixed.  Slowly add in the confectioners sugar until you get the consistency you desire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes

With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March. What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Sco