Skip to main content

March Birthday Goodies Part 2: Angel Food Cake

As I said in my last post, we had two birthdays in our family last week and as such, it fell to me as the baker of the house to make their cakes.  No store bought cakes or mixes for my family!  No way, no how!  Anyway, my mother-in-law decided that she wanted an angel food cake.  A plain one...with nothing on it...how BORING!!!  Sigh, but she was the birthday girl and I guess she could have a silly, boring, nothing on it angel food cake if that is what she wanted.  I'm such a good daughter-in-law...she should know how blessed she is!  :D

One note here...I hate to admit this but I screwed this cake up!  And as much as I would love to pretend like I know all about baking and cakes, I knew nothing about angel food cakes when I made this one and I didn't not turn the pan upside down to cool like I was supposed to, so mine sank a little bit, not too much but some.  So, sorry Dianne, that your cake was not perfect.  Maybe you don't have the best daughter-in-law in the world after all, it's still close though!  At least it tasted good, thats what is important, right?  I can try again at Mother's Day if you want!  I'm not sucking up...I swear...LOL



The egg whites after 2 minutes of whisking


Egg whites dusted with flour


This is the look your batter will have when you are done



Angel Food Cake

1 3/4 cups sugar, spun in a food processor until fine
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites, room temperature
1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp. orange extract
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine (or use superfine sugar). Sift half of the sugar with the salt and cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer or stand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).
Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.
You can make a glaze or slice up some fresh fruit for your angel food cake if you want...my work was done at this point though!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r