Skip to main content

Happy St. Patrick's Day...have a cake pop!



I'm sure many of you know that yesterday was St. Patrick's Day.  A day for eating strange green foods and putting shamrocks on everything and of course drinking ridiculous amounts of alcohol.  Although I over course, like a good Irish girl, did all three, here we will talk about the eating green stuff part cause this is a food blog after all!

A friend of mine recently brought to my attention that my experience is sorely lacking in one baking craze that is super popular right now, cake pops.  Until a few days ago, I had never made them...thought about it once, but I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort for the occasion. She of course begged me to do a post on them though because she wants to make them for her daughter's birthday.  So, being the wonderful friend that I am, I spent my day off working on cake pops.  I learned a few things...one, I seriously have no patience with disobedient baked goods and two, cake pops aren't all that hard, they are just time consuming.  Originally I was supposed to make a batch of rocky road ones for my friend but since I was making them the day before St. Patrick's Day I figured  ought to make some for the holiday too.  





Crumble the cake into a bowl and add frosting


 Stir in frosting until all of the cake is moist


Roll into balls and place in the refrigerator for an hour or so


Melt candy pieces in a microwave, be sure to watch carefully so you don't burn them


For the Grasshopper ones, add a bit of food coloring or buy green ones.  Also add peppermint flavoring, mix well and add more chocolate if needed to get the right consistency.  


Dip the stick into the chocolate and then push into the cake ball.


Place back in the refrigerator so that the cake balls do not warm up and fall off the stick.  When coating them in chocolate, be sure to only take out a few at a time so that they don't warm up before you can coat them.  They will fall off the stick if they warm up too much before being coated, trust me I know...


Very gently dip them into the coating, covering them fully. 


Allow any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl and then place the cake pops into a prepared Styrofoam stand.  I got mine at Wal-Mart in the craft section for $7 and pre-poked 48 holes spaced far enough from each other so that the pops wouldn't touch.


Rocky Road and Grasshopper Cake Pops
makes 48-60 depending on size
ideas and hints mostly borrowed from Bakerella

Chocolate cake mix, any flavor or kind
Chocolate frosting, any flavor or kind
1 bag of dark cocoa candy melts, found at craft stores
1 bag white candy melts, or pastel green if you can find some
1/8 tsp green food coloring
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
lollipop sticks
pecan pieces and mini marshmallows
1/4 cup white chips, melted and placed in a pastry bag
styrafoam for holding cake pops

Bake cake according to package instructions.  Allow to cool completely, I baked mine first thing in the morning and then worked on making the cake balls after lunch.  When the cake is completely cool, crumble it into small pieces over a bowl large enough to mix in.  Add about 3/4 of the frosting to the cake crumbs and mix until all of the cake is moistened and a consistent texture is made.  Roll into approximately 1 Tbsp. size balls and place on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for an hour or two.  

Melt candy melts in a bowl, adding the food coloring and peppermint extract to the white ones, and dip the tip of a lollipop stick into the candy then stick into each cake ball.  Place back in the refrigerator for a bit, I waited until after dinner, and then taking a few out at a time, dip into the melted candy, sprinkle on decorations or toppings and place in styrafoam holder.  The candy melt will harden pretty fast as the cake balls are so cold.  This will help minimize the drips, but still be sure to let all excess candy coat drip back into the bowl before placing in the holder.  Allow to sit for a while to ensure that they are entirely cooled and hardened.  I topped my grasshopper ones with white chocolate shamrocks to make them more festive.  

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!







Comments

  1. Mine came out great :)....so how about a lave cake recipe next!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! So glad you were able to do them. Lava cake might be an interesting dessert to work on...I'll add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG they look just like the starbucks ones!!!! I want one so bad Marc had one and he said it was amazing can't wait to get to AZ and get fat...er lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes

With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March. What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Sco