Skip to main content

White Whole Wheat English Muffins


I don't know about your families but I know mine is a huge fan of english muffins, so much so that I swear I cannot keep them in the house.  Sometimes I just cannot buy enough to meet our demands and the very last thing I am going to do is run to the store first thing in the morning just for english muffins - hence my idea to make my own!

As far as breakfast ideas and pre-school and work morning meals go, these are a good choice! The recipe is fairly simple and not one that has to rise for a long time plus it is easy to customize exactly what kind of muffins you'd like.  I chose to try to sneak some whole wheat past my family by using white whole wheat flour but feel free to use all-purpose if you'd like.  Just be aware you might need to add a little bit more flour to get the right consistency.





In a small bowl add in the milk and heat carefully in the microwave or over the stove.  Add in the butter and stir to melt then add in the yeast.  Set it aside and allow the yeast to "bloom" a bit.


 In another bowl, add together all the dry ingredients and whisk until they are well combined.


After about 5 minutes, your wet ingredients should look something like this - the stuff on top shows us that the yeast is active and ready to bake with.


Pour the milk mixture into a stand mixer bowl and add in the egg.  Be sure to break up the egg yolk and mix it in a little bit before you add in the dry ingredients.


Carefully add in the flour mixture a third at a time.





Once all the flour is added, beat on medium using the dough hook for 6-8 minutes or until a smooth ball of dough is formed.


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll until it is 3/4" to 1" thick.


Using an english muffin cutter or a the ring to a large wide mouth canning jar, cut out as many muffins as you can, re-rolling when needed.





Place the muffins on a cookie sheet lightly dusted with a layer or cornmeal and sprinkle some corn meal on top.  Cover and allow the dough to rise for about 20 minutes.  Preheat your oven to 325F.


After the dough has risen, heat a cast iron skillet over low heat and lightly brown each side of all of the english muffins and then place them back on the cookie sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes.


Serve immediately with butter or jam by piercing the sides with a fork to separate them or store in a bread bag on the counter for up to a week.


English Muffins
Makes a dozen muffins

3 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. yeast
1 3/4 cups milk
3 Tbsp. butter
1 egg

Heat up the milk just until warm enough to melt the butter over the stove or in the microwave.  Add the butter and yeast and set aside for a moment.  Sift or whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, sugar and baking soda) in a small bowl.  Add the wet ingredients to a stand mixer bowl and beat in the egg.  Add in the dry ingredients in thirds until completely incorporated and then mix using the dough hook for 6-8 minutes until a smooth dough forms.  Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 3/4"-1" thick and cut using the lid of a large mouth canning jar and dust lightly with cornmeal.  Cover with a towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes.  Warm a cast iron pan over low heat and brown each side of the muffins just until crispy and then set on a baking sheet.  Once all the muffins are browned, bake for 12 minutes at 325 degrees F.  After baked, use a fork to separate the sides and serve with butter and/or jam.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r