Skip to main content

Garlic Pretzels and a new kitchen appliance!


Did anyone else get any fun new appliances for Christmas?  We sure did!  Because I love to bake I usually get something new for the kitchen every year, sometimes it is just a new spatula because I broke my favorite one, other years it's a new food processor and sometimes it's just something fun someone saw and thought of me.  This year it was actually my husband (gasp!) that received the fun new appliance, a hot dog toaster!  I know, strange..him...in the kitchen...you'd be surprised how often he ends up there sometimes.

Anywho, it reminded me that last year, he gave me a pretzel maker for Christmas and as with all of my kitchen stuff that doesn't get used on a regular basis, it was shoved into a cabinet and forgotten about until it fell out as I was trying to find  a new home for said hot dog toaster.

We love the big soft pretzels and often stop to get them as treats when we are shopping and need a bite to eat.  The joy of this little appliance is that clean up is pretty easy, no cookie sheets to clean, just gently wash the non-stick surface after it has cooled and all done!  Of course this recipe can be done in the oven as well, at 425 or 450 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  If you bake them, you might want to give them a quick dip in a baking soda bath for 30 seconds to help them crisp up and give you that nice brown color.





Add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast 


and a cup of warm water to your mixing bowl.


Knead dough for 5 minutes using the dough hook or by hand.


Knead until your dough is soft and smooth.


Cover,


and let rise somewhere warm for 30 minutes.


If using a pretzel maker, plug in to preheat. If baking, preheat your oven.


Divide the dough into 6 equal parts on your floured work surface.


Roll each section out into 17-inch long ropes.


Allow to rest uncovered for 5 minutes on your work surface.



Get your cooling area ready or prepare your baking soda bath if baking your pretzels.


Place pretzels in your pretzel maker according to the pattern.


Brush lightly with the baking soda mixture, if baking, place the pretzels in the baking soda wash for about 30 seconds before baking.


As you finish baking all of your pretzels, prepare the garlic butter.








Coat each pretzel liberally with garlic butter.





Enjoy!


Garlic Buttered Pretzels

makes 6 pretzels

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (1/2 cup will be for baking soda wash)
2 Tbsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. garlic salt

Place the flour, salt, sugar, 1 cup of the warm water and yeast into a mixing bowl.  Knead by hand or in a stand mixer for 5 minutes, until the dough is soft and smooth.  Set aside and cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes in a warm place.  It is important to make sure the place you choose is warm enough so that the yeast will be active enough to rise.  We actually had to put our dough above the fire place!

Transfer the dough to your work surface, a counter top with a lot of space or your table will work well.  Make sure the surface is lightly covered in flour and divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.  Roll each section of dough into a long, thin rope about 17-inches long.  Allow the dough to rest uncovered for 5 minutes.

While the dough is resting again, get the baking soda wash ready by mixing a 1/2 cup of warm water with the baking soda in a shallow bowl.  If using a pretzel maker like this one, place the ropes of dough into the pretzel molds following the basic pattern.  If you are baking them, then form the ropes into a pretzel pattern.  In the pretzel maker, brush the top of each pretzel with the baking soda mixture and cook for 11-13 minutes by lowering the lid.  Pretzels will be done when they are a deep golden brown color.  If you are baking yours, now would be the time to dip your pretzels into a baking soda wash for 30 seconds and them place them on a baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

When all of the pretzels are baked, melt the 3 Tbsp. of butter on the stove top or melt in the microwave.  Add the garlic salt and mix well.  Brush garlic butter liberally over each pretzel and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r