Skip to main content

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Bacon Rice Crispy Treats


So, my family has an obsession with bacon.  Like seriously, an obsession.  I remember once making chili dogs and my daughter looked at me after I placed them in front of her and asked in all seriousness, "What?  No bacon?", as if that was a normal ingredient like salt or pepper.  Now it has become the running joke, that everything I serve must contain bacon.  Most often, I ignore my crazy husband and daughter but occasionally, I give into their wild demand and throw bacon randomly into something that doesn't usually have it.

This recipe came about mostly because my husband was hassling me about making his favorite cookies, peanut butter chocolate chip bacon cookies (I featured them on the blog a while back if you want to go check them out here) and I didn't feel like going through all the effort of making cookies.  I love rice crispy treats, mostly because they are crazy simple and delicious.  This recipe seriously takes 5 , maybe 10 minutes max to prepare.  They are perfect to make, say the night before you have a work potluck and maybe you forgot to make something until 9:30pm.  Not that that has ever happened to me...I always prepare and plan all things ahead of time...right.





Start by melting the butter in a pan large enough to hold everything


Add in the whole package of marshmallows


Melt those down...


Learn from my mistakes and add the peanut butter here before the cereal!


Stir in the cereal and bacon bits at once to make things easier on yourself!











Pour out into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan after it is well mixed


Make sure it is spread evenly!


Pour the melted chocolate chips over top of the treats


Spread evenly again!


YUM!


Allow to cool for several hours on the counter or for an hour in the fridge then cut into desired size pieces.


Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Bacon Rice Crispy Treats
makes 12 decent sized treats

3 Tbsp. butter
1 package regular marshmallows
6 cups of rice krispies cereal
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup bacon bits, or crumbled bacon
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt the butter in a large enough pan to hold all of the ingredients.  Once melted, add in the whole package of marshmallows and stir until completely melted.  Remove from heat and add in the peanut butter.  I didn't follow that bit of instructions until I made my second batch, trust me it is much easier to mix in before you add the cereal.  Once the peanut butter has melted into the marshmallow, add the cereal and the bacon bits, another lesson learned with the second batch!  Stir until all ingredients are well incorporated.  Pour into a lightly greased 9"x 13" pan and spread evenly.  Melt the cup of chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double boiler.  Spread melted chocolate evenly over the top of the treats and allow to cool at room temperature for several hours or throw into the fridge for about an hour before cutting into 12 good size pieces, or 24 small treats.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r