Skip to main content

Homemade Strawberry Cream Twinkies


When I made the Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes the other day I got a little over zealous with the frosting and ended up with an extra cup and a half left over.  So I asked myself, what do you do with a cup and half of leftover delicious frosting?  Besides sneak up in the middle of the night and eat it by the spoonful by the light of the fridge that is...not that I would ever do that...I swear... No what you do is make something else that goes with it of course!  Now I have no idea why, but the first thing that popped into my head was Twinkies.  I just felt that this delicious frosting would be great filling for a twinkie!  So I began my research...is there a homemade Twinkie recipe out there?  Turns out there are tons...and seeing as I was lucky enough to get an extra day off this week (Thanks so much President's Day!) I was feeling lazy and decided to use the easiest recipe I found.  It is also by the way the one I found people said tasted the most like Twinkies...just saying.

Many of the recipes I found included instructions for how to make little Twinkie molds so that they would have the rounded tops like Twinkies do.  I found this step to be tedious and unnecessary.  After making 2 molds I decided to say screw it and just bake them in a cake pan and them cut them into rectangles.  If you feel the need to do this, the instructions can be found here.  Mine turned out just fine...


Homemade Twinkies
makes 18

1 package yellow cake mix
4 egg whites, beaten until stiff
2/3 cup water

Preheat the oven to 325 F.

Spray a 9"x13" baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside until later.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer on medium high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.  In a separate bowl, beat together the cake mix and water for about two minutes on medium speed until well mixed.  Gently fold in egg whites until they are fully incorporated, then pour into cake pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool completely before cutting into 18 equal pieces.  

Strawberry Twinkie filling
1 cup leftover frosting, room temperature
1 cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp. sugar

In a medium to large bowl, whip the whipping cream on medium speed until soft peaks form.  Add the sugar and beat another minute or so.  Gently fold the whipped cream into the softened frosting and put into a piping bag to fill the Twinkies.

To fill the Twinkies, poke 3 holes down the length of the Twinkie with a tooth pick or straw like so:

(My daughter and little baked good stalker took this pic by the way!)

Then slowly fill each hole with filling, being careful not to poke the pastry bag out the other side or over fill it as it will crack the Twinkie.  Continue with each Twinkie until finished. 



Enjoy immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap to eat later!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r