Skip to main content

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes


With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March.
What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Scout cookies and booth sales than to make some Girl Scout cookie cupcakes!  Savannah Smiles seem like the perfect cookie to evoke images of springtime, sunshine and the thrill of Girl Scout cookie sales!  






Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.









Add in the eggs one at a time.


Mix in the flour/cookie mixture and milk in turns.


Add in the lemon zest.


Fold in the strawberries.


Scoop into the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes at 350F.





Beat butter in a stand mixer until smooth and creamy.


Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and add the lemon juice and vanilla extra.  Beat until light and fluffy on high speed.


Frost cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles!


Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Roughly 1/2 box of Savannah Smile cookies, crushed, enough to make 1 cup crumbs
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
zest of 1 lemon
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
1 cup diced strawberries

Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.  In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until lighter in color and fluffy.  While that is working away, in a medium sized bowl, whisk together the Savannah Smile crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time and beat until fully incorporated.  Add in the vanilla and lemon juice and mix well.  Add in 1/3 of the cookie/flour mixture followed by 1/2 of the milk.  Repeat until all the flour and milk are incorporated.  Fold in the strawberries and lemon zest.  Scoop by the 1/4 cup into the 12 waiting cupcake liners and bake at 350F for 18-20 until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.  Cool completely before frosting.

Lemon Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter, I prefer using salted
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
sprinkles (optional)

In a stand mixer, beat the butter until nice and fluffy.  Add in the powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Add in the vanilla and lemon juice and beat on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy.  Using a piping bag, frost each cupcake and top with sprinkles if desired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt