Skip to main content

Monster Cookie Cupcakes, Happy 2nd Birthday Frustrated Baker!


A few days ago, this blog hit its 2 year birthday and what better way to celebrate than with a ridiculously indulgent cupcake recipe?!  After all, that is kind of what I am all about.  These cupcakes were actually a special request from my boss at Starbucks.  He found the picture and I hunted down a recipe.  I even brought them in as a treat on my last day!

I don't know if any of you are familiar with monster cookies, I know I wasn't...I lived a sheltered childhood apparently!  That's okay though, these cupcakes more than make up for a lifetime without monster cookies, though after seeing some recipes for those I think they may make an appearance at our house very very soon!  These cupcakes are essentially peanut butter chocolate chip cupcakes, which pretty much makes them perfect, then to make it even more amazing, you top them with a "cookie dough" made of peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chips and m&m's!  (I say "cookie dough" because it isn't really cookie dough...there isn't anything in there that would need to be cooked for little ones to eat it.)

So if you are looking for a way to celebrate, oh say maybe the return of everyone's sanity now that the kiddos are going back to school (cue resounding cheers from every parent across America) you should consider making these, guaranteed they will make everyone smile even if they are crying inside at the thought of homework again. : D


Our ingredients for the cupcakes


Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and then stir in the peanut butter


...until nice and smooth.  Add the eggs,


milk and vanilla.


In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.


Add the dry ingredients into the peanut butter mixture.  Bake in a 350F oven for 17-20 minutes.


For the "frosting", beat together the butter and peanut butter in a mixer.


Add in the flour and mix until incorporated.


It will come out nice and smooth like this.


Add in the brown sugar.


Then the oats and powdered sugar.


Stir in the m&m's and chocolate chips.


Doesn't that look amazing?!


Scoop onto our cooled cupcakes


Enjoy!


Monster Cookie Cupcakes
Makes 16-18 cupcakes, recipe adapted from Something Swanky

cupcakes:
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Prepare 2 cupcake pans with liners and set aside until later.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and then stir in the peanut butter until smooth.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add the vanilla, milk and eggs to the peanut butter mixture and stir until smooth.  Slowly add the dry ingredients into the peanut butter mixture and whisk until incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Scoop into cupcake liners, filling about 3/4 full.  Bake at 350F for 17-20 minutes.

monster "cookie dough" frosting:
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cups oats
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 regular size package of m&m's

In a mixer, cream together the peanut butter and butter until smooth.  Add in the flour and mix until incorporated then do the same with the brown sugar.  Next beat in the oats, followed by the powdered sugar, salt and adding in as much milk as you need to bring the "frosting" together.  Stir in the chocolate chips and m&m's.  Scoop onto the cooled cupcakes using a small ice cream scoop and enjoy!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes

With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March. What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Sco