Skip to main content

Chocolate Mint Layer Bars


Hey there everyone!  I know I disappeared for a bit, but we were relocating!  I now have my own kitchen back, none of my kitchen stuff yet, but lets just get right into the baking!  Christmas is coming and my kitchen is running pretty much 24/7 this time of year.  No time to waste!

This recipe is actually from one of those free recipe cards you see just about everywhere this time of year.  I was walking down the seasonal baking display at our grocery store and saw these delicious mint chocolate chips that I loved last year.  They were buy one get one free so I just couldn't resist!  Plus they had recipes right there!  They were calling my name...I couldn't leave them there unbaked on the shelf.

This recipe is super duper simple!  Took maybe 30 minutes and 25 minutes of those were the bars baking in the oven.  They taste and look great!  Hint, hint guys!  Awesome idea for Christmas goodies for bake sales or gifts!


Small ingredient list today!


Using a food processor or rolling pin, crush the Oreos up finely enough to be used for a crust.


Like this!


Just plop the butter in the pan and melt it up while the oven is preheating.


Add in the cookie crumbs when the butter is all melted and carefully stir (that pan is hot remember?!)


Press into the bottom of the pan to form the crust.


Sprinkle on the chopped nuts and coconut.


Add the sweetened condensed milk and chips and bake 20-25 minutes!


YUMMY!!!! 

Scrumptious Chocolate Mint Layer Bars
Makes 24 bars

2 cups Oreos, finely ground (about 1/2 package or 15 cookies)
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
1 cup flaked coconut
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 cups (10 oz. pkg.) dark chocolate & mint chips

Preheat oven to 350F.

Using a food processor, grind up the cookies.  If you don't have a food processor you could pick up the little one I have at Wal-Mart for $10 or go old school and put the Oreos in a large ziploc and crush them using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.  (If you use a meat tenderizer be sure to pay attention to which side you use.  The pointy side WILL make holes in the bag and therefore make a large mess...trust me!)

Melt the butter in a 9" x 13" baking pan in the oven.  When the butter is all melted, remove the pan from the oven and pour in the cookie crumbs.  Mix carefully and press into the bottom of the pan to form the crust.  Next sprinkle on the nuts and coconut.  Pour the condensed milk over the coconut and nuts as evenly as you can.  Top with the dark chocolate & mint chips then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the coconut is lightly browned.

Cool in the pan on a cooling rack.  Once completely cool, cut into bars and serve!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r