Skip to main content

Devil's Food Cake with Cookie Crumb Fudge Filling

This weekend my baby girl turns 5 and in honor of the occasion I made her a super yummy cake.  She requested chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and Hello Kitty on top.  Big surprise...so I found a super easy and delicious devil's food cake recipe on the Food Network's website, through together some melted chocolate with some cream and butter to make a fudge filling and crumbled up some Oreos to sprinkle between cake layers.  

The complicated part came when I was making the marshmallow fondant for the top of the cake and for the Hello Kitty.  I found a recipe from Wilton for the fondant, which does taste loads better than traditional fondant.  Biggest hints here, use a stand mixer if you've got one and read the comments left on the recipe reviews.  That is a good tip for any recipe, but particularly for this one.  I ran into some issues getting the consistency right, and although it worked out, I think I probably should have used only higher quality mini marshmallows.  I'll remember to try that next time and let you all know!





Wisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.


In a mixer, beat the butter until fluffy then add sugar.  Beat until light and fluffy.


Add in the cocoa powder and vanilla.


Beat the eggs in one at a time, mixing for 1 minute in between each.


Bring the milk and water just to a boil and then set aside.


Add the flour to the batter 1/4 cup at a time.


Add in milk and water.


Pour into cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F.


Level cakes with cake leveler or knife.


Place bottom cake layer on cake circle and spread filling or frosting on top.


Sprinkle with Oreo cookie crumbs.


Put on top layer.





Prepare the fondant pieces for the Hello Kitty.


This is what we do with the naughty fondant that didn't behave...








Yummy!  Enjoy!

Devil's Food Cake with Fudge and Cookie Crumb Filling
Recipe from Food Network's website


2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, 
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup milk

1/2 to 3/4 cups chocolate chips
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. milk or cream

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.  In a stand mixer, cream the butter until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Pour in the sugar and continue to mix on medium speed until fluffy, 3-4 minutes.  Add in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract, then mix in the eggs on low speed one at a time, beating for one minute in between additions.  

In a small sauce pan, bring the water and milk to a boil and then remove from heat.  Mix in the flour mixture with the chocolate batter 1/4 cup at a time until fully mixed in.  Slowly add the milk and water, mixing by hand to finish the batter off.  Pour the batter into the pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake begins to pull away from the edge of the pan and the top is springy.  

To make the fudge filling, melt the chocolate chips and butter in a small sauce pan over low heat.  Stir in the milk or cream and allow to sit to the side until cool.

Place the bottom cake layer on the cake circle, top with the fudge filling and sprinkle on the cookie crumbs.  Top with the second cake layer and frost with whatever frosting you would like.  The link to the devil's food cake recipe on the Food Network's site has a great frosting recipe.






Comments

  1. sniffle! Happy Birthday baby girl we miss you so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes

With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March. What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Sco