Skip to main content

Bestest Birthday Cake EVER!!! - Mocha Buttercream and Raspberry Chocolate Cake


A few weeks ago, it was my birthday and true control freak and avid baker that I am, I made my own cake.  Now I'm sure there is some rule out there, just as my family tried to say, that states you are not to make your own birthday cake if you have family around that can do it, but I wanted this cake...and I wanted it to be pretty...and well see above comment about me being a control freak.  Sorry, its just who I am LOL!  So I stayed up late on the day before my birthday so that I could bake this most delicious cake!  (It is super moist and not too rich and very flavorful, seriously I love this chocolate cake...beats boxed cake mix by like 10,000!)  Then when I got home from work on my birthday I quickly decorated it...so quickly in fact I plopped the top layer of cake on top of the bottom before I put in the raspberries.  I was irked, let me tell you, but no worries I worked with it and by layering them on the sides and in between roses on top it turned out pretty good still.  It certainly helped decorate it since I ran out of frosting before I could complete all of the roses on the sides!  So here it is, the best cake ever...I want it now again just thinking about it.  Knew I should have done this post when we still had leftovers!  I adapted the cake and buttercream frosting recipe from Love and Olive Oil's recipes.  The raspberries were inspired by one of my favorite Starbucks drinks...a Raspberry Mocha...yum...maybe I'll just settle for one of those today...





Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy


Add in the eggs...


Add everything else and you get a creamy rich colored chocolate batter


Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean

Chocolate Cake
adapted from Love and Olive Oil's Mocha Buttercream Cake
Makes a 13"x9" two layer cake

3 cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cup buttermilk
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 cup hot water
dash salt
4 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy.  Mix in the eggs, cocoa powder, buttermilk and flour.  Mix until completely incorporated.  In a separate bowl, mix together hot water and baking soda; add to the cake mixture.  Add the salt and vanilla, mix slowly until well blended. Grease a 9"x13" cake pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes.  Cool completely before removing from pans.  


Mocha Buttercream
1/2 cup cocoa powder
6 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons coffee
2 teaspoon vanilla

To begin, sift together cocoa powder and powdered sugar.  In a mixer, beat butter until creamy then slowly add the cocoa/powdered sugar mixture.  Mix in salt and coffee and vanilla and beat until well mixed and creamy, about a few minutes.  Spread or pipe onto cooled cake or cupcakes.

To assemble the cake, carefully cut the cake down the middle length wise to create two layers.  Spread some of the buttercream over the bottom layer and place a layer of halved raspberries down on top of it.  Place the second layer of the cake on top and spread buttercream over the rest of the cake.  Decorate as desired and be prepared to enjoy the yummiest chocolate cake of all time!!




Happy birthday to me!!  Weren't they mean...look at all those candles...and they hid a few on the sides too...ah isn't family awesome!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Strawberry Savannah Smile Cupcakes

With all the beautiful weather we've had over the last couple of weeks, I find myself longing for Spring - for sunshine and flowers, longer days and the chirping of birds.  And of course...Girl Scout cookies!  For those who are linked in to the Girl Scout community, you know that the beginning of Spring is when Girl Scout cookies are delivered and girls of all ages begin to pop up at local grocery stores, working hard at setting up their booths and telling their community what service projects and fun trips they hope to support with the money they earn through all of their hard work.  I myself am a Girl Scout leader and the Troop Cookie Manager for our troop so I swear I live, breath and dream all things cookie from January through March. What better way to celebrate the beginning of all that hard work than to make a cookie inspired recipe for the Girl Scouts of Western Washington recipe contest?  And I can't think of any better way to get people in the mood for Girl Sco