Skip to main content

Add a Little Spice to Your Spaghetti!

Let me start this post by saying that I LOVE pasta...pretty much all pasta.  I would eat pasta for every meal if I could, truly.  Sometimes however, plain old spaghetti is just not enough to do the trick.  I first saw this recipe for Cowboy Spaghetti on the Rachael Ray show a couple of years ago.  It looked pretty good so I decided to try it that night and it was an instant hit.  I love the fact that it is quick and easy and that it is pretty family friendly in that it is close enough to regular spaghetti that it will please pretty much anyone but it also adds a new kick.

Now for those of you up in good old North Bay, you will probably not be able to find the fire-roasted tomatoes the recipe calls for, don't worry I have used plain old diced tomatoes for years and just added a bit of extra hot sauce and it still came out super yummy.

Cowboy Spaghetti
from Rachael Ray's website


1 lb spaghetti
Salt & pepper 
3 slices smoky bacon, chopped (I used the thick cut stuff)
1 lb ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped 
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped 
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup beer 
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (14 ounces)
1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
4 scallions, chopped


Begin by boiling a large pot of water for the spaghetti noodles.  


For the sauce, add the chopped raw bacon to a deep skillet and brown for about 5 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon for later use.  Add the ground beef to the remaining bacon fat and brown for 5 minutes.  Add the onion and garlic as well as salt and pepper to taste, the hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce.  Mix everything up and then pour in the beer and deglaze the pan (scrape up all the yummy bits sticking to the bottom).  Cook another 5-6 minutes then stir in the fire-roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Add the cooked noddles, mix to combine.  Dish into pasta bowls and top with cheddar, bacon pieces and scallions and serve!


Enjoy!  It is super duper yummy!!


*note:  If your family is anything like mine...you might have a few bacon fans and sometimes these fans tend to use quite a bit when it is available as a topping.  I just threw the bacon pieces in with the sauce and noodles before mixing.  You can do this as well, or just make extra bacon, your choice but it doesn't change the taste either way...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Bread Machine White Bread

About 6 months ago, I made the very difficult decision to leave my long-time job at Lower Columbia College for the opportunity to work at University of Portland, which had been a dream of mine for quite a while. During my last few days at LCC, one of my co-workers and friends asked me if I would finally be able to resume my blog and share recipes since I was going from a 40 hour work-week to a 35 hour work-week. At the time, I told him I wasn’t sure but that I would certainly try! Well, it has been 6 months...and all that extra time ended up consumed with a new obsession - gardening! (I’m sure there will be more about that new adventure in the future.) Anyway, I still haven’t been all that active with baking lately but I think this is the perfect opportunity to change that, if for no other reason, than it has  been almost impossible to even buy bread in the town of Woodland right now! Lol Which leads me to my post today - we’re making bread! And though I will end up making many

Easy Fudgy Brownies

I’m sure many of us are craving some comfort foods at this time - I base this of course on the fact that it seems that the baking aisle in every grocery store I have gone into since March 15th has been mostly empty of even the very basic of supplies - flour, yeast, brownie mix…It is getting better but short of going to literally every grocery store from here to Portland which makes me just a tad bit nervous and completely defeats the point of limiting time out in public, there appears to be a very small selection in pre-made mixes; and if I’m being honest, boxed mix is usually my go to for brownies! That being said, luckily I have a selection of brownie recipes I regularly use and like with supplies I normally stock in my pantry. For those of you craving a good fudgy brownie and lacking in mix like me, here is a from scratch brownie recipe that is not only super easy but dirties very few dishes. Enjoy! Fudgy Brownies Recipe adapt

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large bowl and r