Skip to main content

Late Night Pasta





The other night, after getting off of work unexpectedly early, I received a text message from my hubby asking me to stop off at the store for some ice cream for my sister-in-law who just got her wisdom teeth removed.  Being the wonderfully nice sister-in-law that I am, I agreed (of course this has a lot to do with working right next to the dang grocery store).  I was also quite hungry myself and figured it would probably be better to grab something there than pick up something at a fast food place, so I aimlessly wondered for maybe 5 minutes before inspiration struck.  I wanted pasta!!  I always want pasta, but I figured I was going to be home an hour and a half early so I might as well cook something yummy.  However, I was bad...I did a big no no...please everyone forgive me...but I BOUGHT pesto!!!  

I can see it now...you are all frozen in horror as you reread that last sentence over and over.  I know, I know, bad Rheannon!!  Bad!!  But I was hungry and figured at $5 for a teeny bottle it better be good.  Surprise...it was not.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't too bad but mine is way better.  Anyway, I got home put some water on to boil and sautéed a shallot, chopped a tomato and some fresh parsley.  I cooked up some penne, my favorite, and added the pesto, shallots, tomatoes, some sliced black olives and sprinkled on some Parmesan and parsley.  It was still yummy but next time I will definitely make my own pesto!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls...from scratch!

Tuesdays are our lazy days around our house.  I don't work until the afternoon and my daughter doesn't have school, so it is kind of the day that we sleep in, have a yummy breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  This Tuesday, I decided to make it extra special and make homemade cinnamon rolls...from scratch!  I don't think there is any better breakfast than a delicious hot from the oven cinnamon roll that you made with your very own hands.  Plus, I had some leftover cream cheese frosting that tasted just like Cinnabon's frosting...so yeah, basically best breakfast EVER! lol Our ingredients... Add your milk, oil, and sugar to a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until just below boiling. Sprinkle on the yeast and allow to sit for a minute. Stir in the 4 cups of flour. Allow to sit covered with a kitchen towel for an hour in a warm place.  then stir in the last 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in ...

Happy St. Patrick's Day...have a cake pop!

I'm sure many of you know that yesterday was St. Patrick's Day.  A day for eating strange green foods and putting shamrocks on everything and of course drinking ridiculous amounts of alcohol.  Although I over course, like a good Irish girl, did all three, here we will talk about the eating green stuff part cause this is a food blog after all! A friend of mine recently brought to my attention that my experience is sorely lacking in one baking craze that is super popular right now, cake pops.  Until a few days ago, I had never made them...thought about it once, but I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort for the occasion. She of course begged me to do a post on them though because she wants to make them for her daughter's birthday.  So, being the wonderful friend that I am, I spent my day off working on cake pops.  I learned a few things...one, I seriously have no patience with disobedient baked goods and two, cake pops aren't all that hard, they are...

The gooiest brownies of all time

The other day I had a craving for something oober chocolatey and began my search by going to a few of my favorite food blogs and searching for brownie recipes.  There were tons of yummy looking ones, but the all time best came from the  Big Red Kitchen .  I love this blog as there are so many yummy, quick recipes including her recipe for the following Knock You Naked brownies. Knock You Naked Brownies 1 devil's food cake mix 2/3 cup condensed milk 3/4 cup melted butter 14 ounce bag of caramels 1 cup chocolate chips 1 cup pecan pieces, or other type of nuts (optional) Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together the cake mix, 1/3 cup of condensed milk and melted butter in a large mixing bowl.  The mixture will be on the thick side, in fact mine seemed super thick so I added another 1/4 cup melted butter.  Spread half of this mixture in the baking pan and place in the oven for 7 minutes. Nex...